Old March 6th 04, 02:36 AM
Bob McKellar

Default Shot at/Shot back

We keep bringing up presidents/candidates getting shot at (
"We" includes me, I confess ). But today a related issue
popped into my head.

After all the discussion of Kerry's VN history, I wondered
if we have had any other recent ( last 75 years or so )
presidents or major contenders who have killed somebody in a
personal and particular way. We have had bomb droppers (
GHWB, McGovern ) and Truman's artillery and Ford's AA, but
little close range infantry type experience in our leaders
since Teddy R.

Bob Kerrey would certainly qualify, but he didn't make it
too far in his presidential bid. Bob Dole was in serious
combat, but I don't know if his shooting experience was
aimed or "to whom it may concern".

Maybe I have forgotten something ( not an unusual event )
and maybe it is a silly thing to think about. However, I
think the experience of picking a particular human being and
blowing him away would have quite an effect on somebody.

Bob McKellar

Note due to the nature of news groups: This post is not
intended to disparage or criticize any person or group. I'm
just curious.