Old June 22nd 09, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

Default Rare fatal CH-801 crash

Charlie wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
Previously, I knew of only one other CH-801 crash resulting in
fatalities. Here's one that just happened, and as far as I can tell,
had they been doing testing "by the book" I think only one fatality
would have resulted, all else being unchanged:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...377&PAG=461&de
pt_id=172922&rfi=6

Gary Mosley was an acquaintance & the brother of a friend of mine. He
was an A/P & ran the local airport.

For once, an article about an aviation subject was fairly accurate.
And not to beat up on you too much, Jim, but you misread the article &
started an inaccurate ugly rumor about homebuilts & homebuilders.

Sorry - I had no intention of starting any ugly rumors about homebuilts and
homebuilders, since I not only intend to build a homebuilt, I am in the
process of designing my own rather unusual aircraft design.

If you can tell me specifically what rumor I started and where it has
spread I will do what I can to correct it.

The plane was not in its phase one testing.

Just to be clear, since another person brought up the same claim but I made
the mistake of not replying, I knew immediately on reading "they were
restoring the plane..." that the "test flight" was not phase one. I made no
misread of the article on this point. I've done my best to acquaint myself
with the regulations since I have an interest in design of homebuilts.

I chose to write "by the book" to indicate safest possible practice. But
being lazy I didn't go back and edit it to say something like "had they
been using safest possible testing...." Author screwup.

But in retrospect I simply shouldn't have written the post at all, because
no matter how I would try to make my point it could only come across as
insulting the men. They clearly were competent and good men. Optimum
aviation safety is achieved by never leaving the ground, and it is not my
intent to even suggest they should have followed that dictum.

They had a power failure,
topped a tree & flipped into the ground, where it caught fire.

It appears to have been a very bad break in luck when they flipped.