Old November 5th 11, 01:00 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,rec.aviation.ifr
HIPAR

Default The CBO is proposing to kill GPS IIIB and IIIC

On Nov 4, 7:33*pm, macpacheco wrote:
http://www.gpsworld.com/defense/news...et-office-issu...

The best option is the other way around, skip IIIA manufacturing, and
go straight to IIIB.

If the program really needs to be restructured I'd agree with that.
The crosslinks of IIIB add so much utility maintaining the
constellation. That's a benefit for every user class.

But, the USAF touts this procurement as a 'Back to the Basics'
approach. That philosophy resists changing requirements after the
design has been approved. That's (partly) how GPS IIF got into severe
programmatic difficulties.

Then there are 'Color of Money' issues. For those who haven't been
evolved with DoD funding, funds are allocated along lines ranging
from basic R&D to procurement of approved materiel. The first few
IIIA satellites are funded with R&D funds and there's a legal
requirement to not cross these funding lines by spending in an
unauthorized manner.

Notwithstanding programmatic issues, restructuring would delay
delivery of the IIIB satellites allowing OCX to phase into the overall
modernization schedule. I suppose it can be 'spun' that way.

--- CHAS