Old January 12th 05, 02:58 AM
Eric Greenwell

Bob Korves wrote:
"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message

Since the chain broke so easily, I suggest you install a much stronger
one. A trailer that comes off the towing vehicle will whip around and
apply much more force to the chain(s) than even fully applied brakes will.

I have done the same thing, Eric (installed strong chains), and I guess it
is good advice.

Note, however, that glider trailers are set up from the European factories
to not use safety chains at all. It appears that the idea in Europe is that
it is safer, if the trailer somehow releases from the tow vehicle, for the
brake to self apply via the cable. The loose trailer (and the other traffic
on the road!) can fend for themselves.

That concept is not legal here in the U.S. and I don't necessarily recommend
it, either. If you do agree with the European idea then it might be smart
to use the weakest chain that is legal where you are based...
-Bob Korves

I suspect the reason is the generally smaller vehicles that they use for
towing, compared to ours in the US. It might be safer for the trailer to
break loose than send the trailer AND the car flying into the oncoming
traffic.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA