Old March 31st 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default HpH 304CZ as first sailplane

303SAM wrote:
Yes, this is one of the cool things about older ships--I understand it used
to be a requirement of the class.
Again, I don't know about the 304, only the 303.

It was my understanding that it was a requirement that the airbrakes limit
speed to less than Vne even at extreme dive angles. However, I wouldn't
count on that. I seem to remember reading something from Schweitzer
claiming that although their gliders were compliant with that, many of
their competitor's weren't. They also went on to say they thought the
requirement was unreasonable and that they felt their competitor's
performed fine within a reasonable pitch angle (45 degrees?) Point is,
don't try this at home...

dan