Old March 25th 04, 03:20 PM
Roy Smith

In article t,
"Geoffrey Barnes" wrote:

First off, I'm not directly involved in this situation, but I am trying to
gain an understanding on how other FBOs and flying clubs deal with something
like it.

Sounds like you got lucky -- you discovered a serious problem in the way
your club operates and got out of the mess with a relatively small
amount of money involved.

My club has a hard and fast rule which says what individual members are
allowed to do in the way of maintenance: they can add gas and oil, and
air to the tires. Anything else requires authorization from the
maintenance committee. If anything else needs doing, the member is
required to contact the maintenance committee before spending any money.

The last thing you want is individual members going out and doing their
own repairs. There's two issues here; one is to make sure that repairs
are done correctly and by mechanics we trust, the other is to keep a
handle on who is authorized to spend the club's money.