Old March 28th 04, 07:06 PM
C J Campbell

"John Doe" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 05:24:25 GMT, "SeeAndAvoid"

Time for a reality check.

That's the way it is. The ball's in your court. Unless the aviation

community
and perhaps the FAA can work out a helpful response,.the path is going to

be
regrettably clear.

The reality is that you do not have a Constitutional right to control the
airspace above your property. The Supreme Court has already ruled on that
and it is unlikely that this will ever be reversed.

The reality is that pilots have as much right to enjoy their property as you
have to enjoy yours.

The reality is that aerobatics is an art form and probably Constitutionally
protected freedom of expression.

Efforts to legislate or sue aerobatics out of existence are probably a
fruitless waste of time and money that will not solve the problem of
aircraft noise and probably sour relations between property owners and
pilots even further. The inability to come to a judicial or legislative
solution will probably result in violence on both sides. That is the path
which is regrettably clear. I think that we all would like to prevent that,
so perhaps a different approach is needed.

The reality is also that pilots are painfully aware of noise problems and
most of us would like to do almost anything to avoid them. We are homeowners
and property owners, too, you know, and a disproportionately large number of
us do live near airports.

You might start asking why we have aerobatics boxes in the first place.
After all, why should every aerobatics pilot in the area be forced to
practice over your house? Why is the problem concentrated there? Maybe what
we need to do is to stop being so restrictive about where people practice
aerobatics -- spread the problem around so that it is not excessively
annoying to anyone. Unfortunately, the effect of organizations like Stop the
Noise has been to concentrate the noise still further, making the lives of
people who live in these areas even more unbearable than it was before. Stop
the Noise and organizations like it are definitely a big part of the
problem. They created this problem in the first place and are making it
worse every day. You might want to think about that before starting your own
chapter of Stop the Noise.