Old October 23rd 03, 03:51 PM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 00:23:45 -0500, Barnyard BOb --
wrote:

Holger,

I don't think you get it. I wrote a few emails critical
of Bob, and he has written dozens of critical emails about
auto-conversions without a complaint.

If you notice, my emails generated REAL feedback on auto
conversions.

I'm sure Bob's Ego will heal and maybe he'll be a more
beneficial contributor to this group.

That's my hope.

Bart

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry Bart,
Your emails, for the most part, attack ME...
not my position on auto conversions which
you have yet to comprehend.

I am NOT against auto conversions.
I'm against simplistic auto conversion bull****.

*YOU'RE* the one who doesn't "get it".

Barnyard BOb --

And exactly what is "simplistic" about the conversion under
discussion?? They have taken extreme pains to do things RIGHT. The
only thing that can be construed as "simplistic" is the fact they
adhere to the KISS principal. Use what has been proven to work. Change
only what is necessary, and then do not use unproven changes.
The engine calibration they are using is proven over millions of Kms
on land based apps. All the Saudis and other rich folks of the third
world, and half of eastern Europe driving late model high end GMs are
running the same, factory supplied code. This is because lead free gas
cannot be guaranteed available in better than half the world, even
today.
The proof is in the pudding. These 'Bees DO fly. I see and hear one
of them flying overhead here several times a week. Up to this point
they have been rock solid, dependable.
As for WHY install an auto conversion??
What other engine do you put into these old birds - the "factory"
engine has been out of production for decades - and the installed base
has exhausted the supply of many important replacement parts.
Converting to another existing aviation engine would be almost as
involved as the auto conversion, and a whole lot less "fun".
This IS "RECREATIONAL" aircraft, is it not??? And what can beat the
recreational value of being able to fly into a remote lake to go
fishing or hunting in your antique amphibian, without having to worry
that if something goes wrong it may be after freezeup before the
required part can be located, much less shipped up and installed to
get you out? And the comfort of being able to sit in the air
conditioned, temperature controlled cabin - comfortable in shirt
sleeves in any weather? For guys in the "snack bracket" these fellows
are in, it is not so much a matter of cost. The fact the parts are
available, regardless of cost, is more important than the "fact" that
parts are less expensive. The fact they will be available in another
20 or 25 years is another factor.
The fact that a new, current technology engine is statistically more
reliable than a patched together (by necessity) heavily used, heavily
stressed, high hour antique aircraft engine is another bonus.
Sure, they could buy a brand new Lake, or other current production
Amphib with a certified engine -but then all the old Republics would
either be in museums or scrapyards. They are too unique to suffer that
fate.