Old August 14th 18, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default Vintage & Classic Sailplane Camp at Marfa, Texas OCT 12-28, 2018

60 days to go! RSVP NOW for my Oktoberfest Vintage and Classic Sailplane Camp is October 12 to 28, 2018 at Marfa in southwest Texas, historic site of "The Sun Ship Game" (1969) film and the 15th National Landmark of Soaring. Come fly with me in my ASK-13 with the second open cockpit "Cabriolet" canopy.

This is a one-time event as I downsize Marfa Gliders with plans to retire.
Offered for sale: 1946 J-3 Cub (85 hp), ASK-13 with second "open cockpit" canopy, Schweizer 1-36 and my Standard Cirrus.

Marfa, Texas, Accommodations - WHERE TO STAY: Due to the popularity of Marfa, there is no "slow season!" Almost every weekend we host an art, film or music festival, therefore Marfa has become a popular year-round destination for tourists, artists, musicians and glider enthusiasts.

Hotel rooms can be limited so make a reservation soon (and RSVP with me if you are coming to my "Oktoberfest" Vintage and Classic Sailplane Camp)!

For local accommodations and activities, please visit our tourism website at www.visitmarfa.com
I highly recommend the beautifully restored Hotel Paisano in Marfa, just 3 miles from the airport, the traditional gathering place / watering hole of soaring enthusiasts since 1960: www.hotelpaisano.com or call 432-729-3669.

For longer stays, short term rentals of houses and studio apartments may be booked at www.airbnb.com

For accommodations in nearby Fort Davis and information about the evening "Star Parties" at the McDonald Observatory telescopes on Mount Locke in the Davis Mountains, go to www.fortdavis.com
Advance reservations are now required for the Star Party at www.mcdonaldobservatory.org

You may also find accommodation in the college town of Alpine, 26 miles east of Marfa on scenic highway 67. Hotels in Alpine include Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, Quality Inn and many independent motels. Go to www.visitalpine.com