Old November 22nd 08, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

Default Mentally unstable airline pilot forcibly removed from flight deck

On Nov 22, 8:55*am, "Morgans" wrote:
"Bob Crawford" wrote

No such announcement was made to the pax. *From the actual report:
"Prior to descent, the Commander asked the Incharge Flight Attendant
to go the Passenger Information List (PIL) to see if there were any
flight crew on board who might be available to assist on the Flight
deck for the remainder of the flight. In the event no line pilots were
on board, but one of the Cabin attendants held a Commercial Pilot’s
Licence, with a Multi-engine Rating, and a non-current Instrument
Rating. The Commander requested that the Flight Attendant occupy the
right-hand (First Officers) seat for the remainder of the flight to
assist as necessary."http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/11139-0.pdf

What an excellent report. *Well written, and easy to read and understand.

It sounds to me that the Captain did as well as anyone could possibly do,
for the difficult situation that was taking place. *I can not imagine anyone
could have done better, and the flight attendant that stepped in for the FO
did pretty darn well, too.

When the **** hits the fan, the training and level headed response displayed
is what was called for, and was given. *I can't imagine a psycho simmer
could have contributed, in any positive way.

Especially one that gets nervous "flying" a sim.

You gotta read his flight blogs....

"Landing at Jean still made me nervous. The charts provide elevations
but not in great detail. There are some low mountains around the
airport, except to the east. As I came in, I occasionally saw my
landing light on terrain below—terrain that was surprisingly close. I
also saw lights on the ground appearing and disappearing, telling me
that there was terrain in between me and the lights. For an instant,
even the threshold lights on the runway were blocked, which definitely
kept me alert. Fortunately, I landed uneventfully, even with the wind
behind me (flying a pattern in the darkness didn't appeal to me, and
the runway is long enough)."