Old November 24th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Allen[_1_]

Default Questions on high altitude pressures

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in message
news

"Wolfgang Schwanke" wrote in message
es330td wrote in

In theory you could use GPS altitudes when flying MSL/QNH setting,
because both systems measure absolute altitued, so you would expect
them to be the same. If GPS could be relied upon that is. Unfortunately
it cannot, GPS altitued measurements are unrealiable and can drift
wildly (as opposed to GPS 2D positioning which is quite accurate).
Traditional altimeters are much better.

--
I'd like to jump right on the floor

If GPS altitude is unreliable how do you shot a GPS approach or is this
why WAAS was implemented?

Standard GPS approaches a flown with the altitudes from the altimeter. WAAS
approaches rely on GPS position correction from a local transmitter.

--

*H. Allen Smith*
WACO - We are all here, because we are not all there.