Old December 3rd 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

Default Whats it take to get a ride on a jump seat

"Tman" wrote in message
| Of a commercial airline flight. Is it just out of the question?
| I have a comm'l ticket and am an avid aviator so we I might have
| something to bond with the crew on the ground, and can understand the
| need to stay out of their hair in the air.
| That said, I'm not a beautiful lady, so I don't have that going for me.
| I imagine that no degree of schmoozing and trying can get me into a jump
| seat, unless I happen to know one of the crew. Anyone disagree?

Prior to 911, some airlines would allow employees (without facial hair) to
ride jump seat at the Captains discretion. The practice was not uncommon,
and often used to allow one more person on an otherwise full aircraft. No
way to tell how often the Captains said yes. Since 911, I'm not really sure.
The no facial hair requirement was specified to assure proper fit of the O2
mask in an emergency.