Old May 8th 05, 01:26 PM

I guess you might call it "instructional personal minimums".

I won't launch into IMC in an aircraft I've never been in in any
event, even to do an x/c. I fly in lots of different aircraft, and
every one needs familiarization to some extent, since no two panels
are alike, and they all have their own idiosyncracies, which I don't
like discovering for the first time while IMC. Yesterday I flew in
one that wouldn't register below 13" MP once power went below that
number. I just don't like discovering that sort of thing the first
time I try to set power for an ILS descent in actual conditions and
discover it from curious and unusual aircraft performance.

As a practical matter, one needs to do partial panel approaches and
partial panel unusual attitudes during an IPC. I'm not about to
discover that the guy is not real good in recovering from steep
spirals or imminent stalls while IMC with instruments covered. It's
also sometimes difficult getting a block of atltitude from ATC to do
them in, even if I wanted to.

One other matter is the question of being PIC. I once asked an
examiner if he would be willing to conduct a practical test in IMC.
"Not on my ticket", he told me.

Mine either.

On Sat, 7 May 2005 21:44:06 -0600, "Michael 182"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 6 May 2005 17:03:31 -0600, "Michael 182"

Well, different strokes for different folks, but there is no way I am
doing an IPC in IMC with someone I've never flown with in an aircraft
I've never been in.

Really, why not? I can see saying you want to check out the plane (which is
maintained by the same FBO the CFI works from - he can simply talk to the
head mechanic) and see my log book. The plane has dual controls. Unless I'm
suicidal what is the concern?

Michael