Old December 24th 03, 05:09 AM
Jack Watson

"matt weber" wrote in message reply:::

I though gas turbines (as used in aircraft engines) would run on just
about any old liquid, as long as it has a hint of hydrocarbon in it?

Yes and no, as Air New Zealand discovered. Many gas turbines have
other components like fuel pumps that turn out to be quite sensitive
to the lubricating properties of the fuel. The lubrication properties
of Avgas/Mogas are near nil. Jet A is actually pretty slippery stuff.
So while you can burn just about anything in the turbine, you have to
make sure that doing so doesn't damage something else...
David

We had Garrett turbines powering 60Hz alternators at the Cooby Creek
Tracking Station at Toowoomba in the late 60's and found the FCU's chewing
up their internal bearings like crazy until we got an anti-static additive
put in the ATK. Electrostatic corrosion.

--
JW˛
Norton AntiVirus 2003 installed