Old August 18th 03, 08:44 PM
Mark James Boyd

He should join the club and learn how to
fly from someone that knows how to teach flying and has the proper
ratings.

Sean Tucker and Wayne Handley might disagree. Neither have
"the proper ratings." The insurance companies and the FAA cares
not even a whit.

Some people can teach. Some cannot. Some can fly safely. Some
cannot. A piece of paper changes this little. The astonishing
variance in standards enforced by different paid CFIs and DPEs will
make this true for the forseeable future.

PIC is PIC. Nowhere in the FAR's (by the way, that IS what it
says on the front and side of the ASA version) or even in the CFR's ;P
is there any restriction on letting passengers touch controls,
or speaking to them. There is, however, significant verbiage on what
is required for a rating (including training from an
FAA papered instructor).

Schmucky Hotshot (we won't use his real name since he's
my brother with 50 hours telling his pregnant wife
on her first flight to try a crosswind landing by herself
"just like I showed you" will let Darwin scare him. Delta
captain with an ATP multi (Dan knows who he is) but with no instructor
ratings will probably avoid Darwin completely. Somewhere in between,
common sense and prudence of the PIC will provide safety and
maybe even pique the young, energetic mind of a wanna
be pilot...

As a wizened old (aerobatic) pilot once told me, after watching
a pilot push an aircraft into a hangar door (and ensuing discussion
about "training" and "written procedures")

"my God, do you people need a manual for EVERYTHING? How
about some Goddamned common sense!"