Old April 7th 04, 04:46 PM
Jim Vincent

The PIC handles the controls and initiates the test for
each control surface. The assistant reports which way the surface
moves (up, down, left, right). It is up to the PIC to correlate the
reported direction of movement with what (s)he commanded.

he PIC knows the aircraft best. He is looking to make sure that the amount of
throw is normal at the control surface, not at the stick. They do not
correlate if something is incorrectly hooked up.

The PIC and assistant should interact, rather than a one way conversation. The
person at the wing should be watching the control surface and the stick, same
with person in the cockpit.

Regarding the thought in a follow on thread where the thinking is by having the
PIC at the cockpit, he knows exactly what he is doing, I'm told of a story
where the PIC was facing into the cockpit and moving the stick left and right,
thinking he was applying aileron when he was actually doing elevator!

By the PIC at the control surface saying move the control towards me, away from
me, etc. eliminates most if not all potential failure modes and
miscommunications.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ