Old February 20th 05, 07:40 PM
Dude

"George Patterson" wrote in message

Jimbob wrote:

Speculation: If this really takes off and the industry starts making
some money, could the FAA be pressured to expand speeds, weight limits
and # of seats. Include retracts? Maybe incorporate all
non-commercial A/C operations under the LSA rule? It may be far
fetched, but not outside the realm of possibility.

Not a chance. The only way the FAA was convinced to relax the requirement
for a
medical certificate was to convince the powers that be that an LSA can't
do very
much damage when the pilot has a heart attack. Expand the size or speed of
those
planes, and they'll start requiring medicals for that class.

Gotta agree. Increase the plane capabilities and you increase the impact on
others in the system and on the ground. If you are going to fly over two
nautical miles per minute, you likely need to learn about the airspace rules
and get your PPL anyway. You gotta draw the line somewhere.

If LSA is successful in letting more members into the club, I would hope we
would look into rewriting a lot of the mishmash we now have as regulations
to make things simpler. The simpler the regulations, the more time we can
devote to training real safety issues.