Old November 1st 05, 06:38 PM
Robert M. Gary

Default Insurance Questions

There is no reason to be personally named. The policy should name the
corp which includes the board of directors. If you want, you can have
the insurance co sent you a letter stating that board members are
always covered, but making that many pilots "named' may cost you extra
for no extra coverage.
In my case, AIG says board members (my 1 partner and I ) are covered
when we rent but that is often times another one of the "costs"
associated with incorporating. Again, I would not recomend it to
anyone. I don't think it saved us much liability. Legally, if you don't
incorporate you are automatically a "partnership" (using the legal
term). As a stretch, if one partner were driving to the airport and
killed someone with the car, the "partnership" **could** be held liable
because he was driving his car as a member of the partnership. A
corporation could protect you from that liability. However, for a
corporation to afford that protection you MUST follow all the rules of
a corp, including minutes, votes, meetings, annual state officer
filings, NEVER mixing peronal money with corporate money, etc. If you
do any of that the corp no longer provides anything.

However, one benefit of a corp may be that you can sell the corp,
rather than the plane and not trigger the state use tax letter (yes,
you still owe the 8% state use tax but the state won't know to mail you
the letter).

-robert