Old January 10th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Lancaster California: Another Fatal Cirrus Crash

Hmmm, I don't see any indication of a 'forced landing'. Looks like a crash.

Anyway, that doesn't look like routine glider off-field landing country.
That's, "oh ****" chew up your glider country. But no matter.

Thanks for the link

Larry Dighera wrote:

Just like Richard Collins says. The chute is a great way to make the
wife feel safer about flying but most accidents happen too close to the
ground to make a real difference.

It would seem that a forced landing in the desert would cause little
damage; after all gliders do it routinely. As the aircraft was on
final approach at the time, an unrecoverable stall/spin may have been
a factor. Perhaps the distraction of attempted 'chute deployment was
also a factor in this mishap? At any rate, I would expect seat-belt
harness to have precluded substantial injury in a forced landing in
the desert.