Old May 19th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Default Tow cars and trailers

JS wrote:
Closed Trailer with a Std Cirrus in it is 680kg (54% is easily inside the
85%)The sail effect is a bigger decider for me - the trailer can push a smaller
car around when you are exposed to gusts at speed.

I have towed one of those lightweight Nimbus 3 jobbies in a Pfeiffer
trailer with the 2.5L Subaru Outback. It handled better than towing it
with a slightly older (97) Chevy Tahoe 5.7L , ESPECIALLY in side wind
gusts. I imagine this is due to suspension tuning, or lack thereof on
the Chevy's part.
Currently towing a longer and equally light Cobra AS-H26E trailer
with the same car. The biggest towing problem has been "citations of
excessive cross-country progress" awarded by the Highway Patrol.
Both Paul Bikle and Bob Harris' long standing World altitude records
were set within 50km of home, to put the hill and wind situation in
perspective.
Jim

Perfect agreement - the Outback is direct competition for the XC70 - Roughly the
same size and weight. Seriously considered it, but I prefer the relaxed nature
of the Volvo. Then there is the small problem of just about no Subaru dealers in
a large country.
Conversely, I cannot understand why people would want to drive something the
size of a Tahoe, or Suburban or whatever on a daily basis. Most of these are
simply marketing exercises to improve profits. Cheap, relatively unsophisticated
light truck design. Add massive body (to cart sprung bendy chassis) - way up
high so the CG gets even worse, and market it as a lifestyle. Give it slab sides
to look macho - Very good for profits, even if the roll over accident rate
soars...

As I said - the extra wheelbase, and weight make it safer and easier to tow a
substantial trailer. I should have added the corollary - if and only if - the
car has the attributes of a good tow vehicle.
One of those attributes is good aerodynamic stability - which many SUVs lack.
Also the lateral compliance built into real 4x4s suspension allows for way too
much lateral swaying for good towing. I only towed my glider behind one of these
once - I could see the body flexing as we drove. It was unstable at anything
above 100km/h. With the hatchback it was happy at 110km/h and the Volvo cruises
at 120 without a tremor. I don't care to try faster - as the "excessive XC
achievement awards" are undesirable.