Old April 25th 08, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
WingFlaps

Default Lancair crash at SnF

On 2008-04-24, WingFlaps wrote:

Let's work some real numbers for a 172 at 500'. Say climb was a Vx 59
knots.

Firstly, I don't know anyone who routinely climbs out at Vx - certainly
not at 500'. Secondly, this is 100 feet below the altitude I stated.
IIRC, Vy is for a C172 is in the region of 65 knots - or best glide, and
many pilots accelerate to around 70-75kts at 500 feet to get a better
view forward, since best rate in many parts of the world isn't critical
to maintain once you're above a couple of hundred feet.

I can see you missed the point entirely. By the way, Vy is never at
best glide (it is above that ~69knots in a 172) -perhaps you would
like to revise what determines Vy? My point was to ilustrate the
impossible turn with some concrete numbers instead of the handwaving
BS that seems pervasive in this topic.

Good luck on your first engine failure during climb out, if you turn
back I hope you make it. but you'll have a better chance going
straight ahead...

Cheers

.