Old August 1st 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Copperhead144

Default Refinishing a Wood Prop

On Jul 31, 5:40*pm, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:
"Copperhead144" wrote in message
On Jul 31, 9:19 am, " wrote:
On Jul 30, 6:47 pm, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:

Hey, Kyle...

Don't laugh, but give JB Weld a try :-)

Yeah, I know... hell of a ding. Big enough so that we're talking real
divots here. The patch had to have some serious structural strength.
Used a dental pick to create a key, added the JB Weld in three
applications, about twenty minutes apart, coarsely finished with a
rasp between layers 1-2 & 2-3. Let it cure about a week.

Use the water trick to make sure you've got the contour right. (ie,
arrange the thing so a flow of water across the divot catches the
light, tells you when there's no difference in contour between the
original surface and the divot. Use a sponge. W&D paper on a
stick.) All cleaned up (your FINGERS are more accurate than your
eyes), you can return the balance to near-zero by tapping lead foil
into a drilling on the tip, to zero-zero with PAINT when you blacken
the back-side.

I'm sorry to hear about the arm but damn happy to know it isn't
catching :-)

-Bob

I don't know what part of the countryyou live in Kyle but if you were
close to TN I'd make a trip to your homebase and help out just to pull
a mold off half of your prop. :-).FWIW don't rule out having a local
E.A.A. chapter member that's into prop building hellping you out in
exchange for the opputunity to make a duplicate of your prop.

Joe

I'm based at VPC - Cartersville, GA, which is about 30 miles NW of
Hartsfield Jackson. *I live right off I-75 in Marietta, just outside the
perimeter highway for Atlanta...

If you're still interested in making a mold, drop me a line. *By the way,
what does one do with a prop mold?

KB- Hide quoted text -

Hmmm! Your about a three hour drive from my location, let me check my
schedule and I'll get an e-mail to you. Now, with regard's to a mold
of the prop, you use the split mold to cast a copy of the mold, smooth
it up if necessary and then use it as a master in a propeller
duplicator. Or at least I hope so any way, I'm researching the heck
out of prop building and mapping out plans for a propeller duplicator.
Blame it all on Bob Hoover, he's got me believing I can do the
impossible. :-). It's nice when people encourage you to try new things
and reachout a bit further isn't it?

Joe