Old October 4th 13, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Keep your hand off the release handle during aero tows!

Sounds like a decent idea, John, but I think you should actually try it at
least once in flight. The act of raising your hand ala "stick 'em up" is
different than a straight back pull so I think you should see how it feels
and if it really works.

Intuitively, it looks like the gesture you mentioned would result in about a
45 degree upward pull on the release. Would the cable jam in its fairlead?

The release knob in my LAK is a fairly small disk, about a half inch (maybe
a bit more) in diameter and might be easy to miss in an emergency. I think
I'll give your rope idea a try for myself.

"JohnDeRosa" wrote in message
Couple of things;

1) THIS THREAD IS ABOUT YOUR HAND ON THE RELEASE! NOT ON THE SPOILERS!
Can we all say "oops"?

2) I had a PTT when I had my hand on the release. Never again.

3) That being said (#2 above) I saw a friend get in trouble on tow and
couldn't find the release handle due to G forces (scratch one glider). So I
came up with a fairly long lanyard that goes from the release knob to my
wrist. In this way small movements of my hand won't impact the release but,
in an emergency, a half way hands up gesture of "you're under arrest" will
release the tow. Luckily I have never used this. Needless to say I use the
knob for a non-emergency releases. Here is a link to my Mark 1 version
(Bumper type model numbering), I don't have a shot of Mark II with its
adjustable palm knob and black nylon webbing.
http://aviation.derosaweb.net/images...selandyard.JPG

My $0.02.

- John