Old August 9th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_2_]

Default Fixing a camera externally

On Aug 6, 6:22 pm, "Neil" wrote:
Is there any simple way to fix a small self-contained "web-camera" to the
wing or tail of my glider?

I have a Tony Hawks Helmet Cam, designed really for skateboarding, and I've
worn it or affixed inside the cockpit a few times, but so far held off
affixing outside. Tape would have seemed the best bet, but a little
nervous it may damage the fibre-glass body when I pull it off, or it will
fall off!

Neil

Many years ago, I mounted a simple fixed-focus 35mm camera on a home-
made contraption that I clamped to the spike that protrudes from the
nose of a 2-33. The camera was triggered by a piece of choke cable
threaded through the air vent, emerging from the panel right in front
of the stick. The camera was pointed straight back, and so I got a
picture of my smiling face through the front of the canopy. These
little cameras have fairly wide-angle lenses, so the view includes a
few feet of wing on each side, and a little sky above and ground
below.

Just in case this wasn't quite in accordance with the letter of the
FARs, no evidence survives except the photo itself, which I am
prepared to say was Photoshopped. By someone else. Someone I never
met. OK?

p.