Old December 9th 03, 05:05 AM
Buck Wild

John Galloway wrote in message ...
I have a vague recollection that a while back someone
mentioned in passing that their club used a little
drougue chute near the glider end of the aerotow rope
to fly the rings higher during approach and landing.
Does that ring any bells? If so I would appreciate
some information - or did I just imagine it?

You could use the wiffle balls, they are still manufactured, but
here's what I've used when I ran out of wiffle balls;
take your imported water bottle, like the 16oz size, not the liter
size, and cut off the bottom half. Put the rope through the neck, and
the tost rings will retract into the top of the bottle, preventing
them from dragging down the runway. A proper water bottle will "fly"
like the wiffle ball, and there's always a fresh supply around. Warn
your friends with nose-pitot like libelle, no airspeed on tow.
The ball or bottle will last forever on turf, one or two trips through
the barbed wire fence, and for awhile on tarmac.
There's also retractable towrope systems, with pros & cons.
-Dan