Old March 15th 13, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

Default FLARM antenna question (hindrance from metal)

At 01:07 15 March 2013, 2NO wrote:
I am going to wave my white "not a hardware guy" flag again

here (while
ducking).

If the (main) FLARM antenna is mounted on a tin or aluminum

surface
(specifically, a short length of 0.5 by 0.1 inch of what is tin,

aluminum,
or some other light metal), will it interfere with the antenna's
performance?

Or should I go with the wood alternative ... ?

~ted/2NO

Dunno if this helps, but for my European (Swiss) Flarm, I had to
mount the Flarm GPS antenna a long way from my Logger antenna
(in fact on my headrest, whereas logger is on the instrument panel
coaming) to get an adequate GPS signal into Flarm. Dunno about
material for mounting – I use non metallic for that; and the other
Flarm-Flarm antenna screws into the Swiss Flarm plastic case so it
was not an issue.

HTH.

Chris