Old July 24th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
drbdanieli

Default Dick Johnson is gone.

One of my first memories of Dick was at contests in Littlefield, TX. �One of
Dick's habits was to make an effort to remember anyone that he met. �When he
met you, he would put your name in his little notebook and something about
you to help him remember you. �The next time he saw you, he would call you
by name; great trait.

This would explain my first meeting with Dick. I was a 17yr old kid
in the mid 70's crewing for a California pilot at a Standard class
nationals in Hobbs NM. Dick was flying the brand new Pik 20. All I
ever accomplished at that point in my soaring career was I had the
longest flight from Region 11 that year. Dick was a legend in my eyes
and he came up to me, introduced himself, and congratulated me on my
flight. I was so impressed that a man of his stature, from Texas,
would even know about some kid in California making a nice flight,
then take the time to intoduce himself to me. He was truly one of the
greatest ambassador's we had in this sport.
My deepest condolences go out to Alice and his family.

Barry Danieli
El Verano, CA