Old March 13th 04, 02:54 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

When was ANY party fiscally conservative after about 1820?

If you mean major party, Cleveland (Grover, not Ohio) Democrats in 1890s.
If you mean any party at all, there are fiscally conservative parties

today,
they just can't get their candidates elected.

Grover had just about as much trouble with his party and the populace as
anyone would in modern times. In the late 1890's there was just about as
much today. The campaigns of William Jennings Bryant are a good example.

Because they're not "mainstream", I guess. Of course, if libertarians
were mainstream, we wouldn't have these problems in the first place,
regardless of who was in power.

If Congress and the President adhered to the Constitution it wouldn't make

lot of difference which party was in power.

Not quite the right angle -- if the PEOPLE held them to the Constitution, it
wouldn't make a lot of difference. First, most people have zero clue what's
in the Constitution, and secondly, they like getting the goodies.

"One must remember that in a democracy, the _whores_ are us." -- P.J.
O'Rourke, 'Parliament of Whores'.