Old March 31st 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Diamond Distance flight plan

I got my Diamond Goal done last year and I'm going for Diamond Distance this
year. I'd like comments on one of the routes I'm considering.

I understand I can have three turnpoints + start/finish. We have prevailing
wind (sea breeze) out of the SE. Good days will see well spaced 3-4 kt
thermals to 6 or 7k agl. One route I'm considering basically "yo-yo's"
along an out & return course. To illustrate, there are three turnpoints
along a line running NW from my home field--let's call the closest A, then B
and the furtherst C. The route is Start - C - A - B - Start/Finish.

The downside is that I'm beating into a headwind (usually only 6-10 kts) for
1/2 of the flight.
The upside is that by spending about 1/2 the course covering the same ground
4 times I'm betting I can benefit from good knowledge of the local
conditions to improve my speed.

I'm sure others have used this strategy--what pro's & con's did you find?