View Single Post
Old January 28th 15, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Minutes of Fall 2014 USA Rules Committee meeting posted on SSAwebsite

I've no doubt all of that can be done but doesn't it just take the fun
out of soaring? If winning is all that matters, have fun. Those who fly
for the joy of it won't be there any more.

On 1/27/2015 10:52 AM, Papa3 wrote:
I've said this in the past and I'll say it again. Let's not think of "smart phones" as in: I picked up my iPhone or Galaxy S4 and looked at the radar app. Then opened up the artificial horizon app. etc.

As long as we allow connectivity for real time communications in the cockpit, it's absolutely trivial for even a halfway talented developer to create a really, really slick interface on a larger format tablet (something like a Nexus) with GPS and wireless data inputs. Wanna overlay the Radar and Satellite pictures over the task area 40 miles out. No sweat. Pull in all of the latest surface observations for current wind data and depict that as wind vectors. Got it. And while we're at it lets overlay a better user interface to create a tactical leaching tool off of Flarm data. Put some additional tapes and markers on the UI, and just eliminate that annoyance of having to look out the window.

I'm not necessarily "against this", but I do think that one of the reasons you have rules is to decide what technology we do or don't want. The 1960 Lightning that I used to sail would certainly have been "better" using more modern rigging and carbon fiber spars, but the folks in the ILCA decided this wasn't what was wanted.

If we decided we DON'T want this, can we guarantee with 100% certainty that someone isn't violating the letter or the spirit of the rules? Maybe, maybe not. But if it were clear that any form of connectivity was verboten and that all pilots were subject to post flight ramp checks of all devices immediately upon rollout, it would at least send a message. COTS devices all log their usage of data and services, so it would take someone actively cheating to hide this. Point being, let's first decide what we really want, then let's decide if/how we can eforce "the rules".

P3

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 11:25:20 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Sorry, but I find that scenario hard to swallow. It would be hard
to miss a developing thunderstorm simply by looking out the window.
If it's so far away that you can't see it, I doubt, you'd change
course and fly into the gloom just because your so-called "smart
phone" (it's only as smart as the idiots who wrote the software)
told you there was lift in that direction. Note: I put my phone in
airplane mode and clip it to my belt before takeoff.

On 1/27/2015 8:04 AM, JJ Sinclair
wrote:

Mike,
The problem is that some have used their smart phone app to access the latest radar wx, and headed straight for a developing thunderstorm, then ran under the storm exchanging lift for speed. This tactic is legal, but very foolish and dangerous because you always run the chance of being sucked into the storm...................but wait, the smart phone also has an app that provides an artificial horizon, problem solved! This tactic works best in a 2 place sailplane with instrument rated pilots. The GIB (guy in back) directs the show while the nose gunner flies instruments.

I fear allowing unrestricted smart phone use has unlocked the candy store, but failed to activate the security cameras.
:) JJ

--

Dan Marotta

--
Dan Marotta