Old November 20th 18, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Playing Chicken With The Birds

Agreed, most birds will dive if threatened, so, try to get above or move to the side.
We mostly fly with buzzards as well, good thermal markers. We also get some raptors like hawks, etc. We are also on a red tail migration route, so twice a year we can fly with hundreds if not thousands.
Our 1-26 (002) is good flying with them. It can go slow and tight and glide next to them heading to the next thermal.
I have been hit a few times in a thermal when I may be and get under them. They would tuck and do a talon strike off the leading edge of the wing. No damage, but loud noise.