Old June 1st 08, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Remde

Default SPOT messenger

Hi,

I've been selling a lot of SPOT units and I'm very curious about the SMAK
pak from Allen Silver. Can you please send me contact information. Does he
have a web site?

Thank you,

Paul Remde

wrote in message
On May 15, 9:05 am, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
I did and I love it! I'm just waiting for them to create a public side
to findmespot.com so I can share my tracks. Right now you have to give
out the admin password to your account (which includes your credit
card on file, etc) for people to see your tracks.

They've done that already, and it works well. Take another look at the
site to see how you can create public pages.

Thanks to all for posting. I'm gathering responses to several posts
here. First, on the sharing option, they say it's a beta and in my
experience (and that of three people who tried it on various
computers) it does not work. While it may work some of the time,
that's not good enough for the S&R application, so I've had to share
my account password with my backup people.

Second on Eric's post re zipper on top vs. the bottom (#13 in this
thread), I emailed Allen Silver and, not surprisingly, there is a
logic to the zipper location. Here's his response:

"There actually is a reason why I mounted it on the bottom. One is to
protect it from getting snagged and accidentally opened and the other
is about gravity. If you left the snap that secures the zipper to the
pack undone and you had to bailout the zipper could unzip during the g
forces of opening. Not likely to occur, but you know about Murphy's
Law."

Thanks for the posts on vertical vs. horizontal. I'll have to try it
in the SMAK PAK and see what happens.

Martin
WT