Old April 20th 05, 01:31 PM
Corky Scott

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:38:24 -0800, "Ron Webb"
wrote:

Note that I can make it show 160 HP just as easily. A 2 barrel 300 cfm carb
and stock low heads, cam and shorty headers are all it takes.

But Ron, you just described what V6 STOL owners **DO** use for the
engine. The 500 CFM two barrel carburetor was tried but was found
unsuitable for the engine because it's too much carb. If you use the
usual carburetor air flow formula which is: CFM = (engine size in
cubic inches) x (maximum RPM) / 3456.

Plug in the figures without taking into consideration the pressure
drop inside the carburetor and the answer is 322.22 CFM.

Be realistic, how can an unsupercharged 232 cid engine, limited to
4800 rpm and choked by a carb flowing only 300 CFM make 260
horsepower? Oh I forgot, factor in the altitude too, which as you
know has a negative effect on power as you get higher.

I'm the only builder I know of who has fabricated headers designed to
enhance the power of the engine. All others have "shorty" exhaust
stacks which, as you mentioned, have a detrimental affect on power.
I've heard of only one builder who spent the money to have his heads
professionally modified. My recollection is that he spent a lot of
money and didn't gain much power.

Corky Scott