Old October 23rd 17, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default how does one find a co-owner?

You will likely be much happier finding a lower performance ship that fits your budget than in a partnership.

I’ve owned a share in an airplane before and never again will I do that. I bought both a glider and an airplane, both are not the newest or highest performance ships but it is so much better to own the aircraft entirely.

Even if the partnership agreement is spelled out clearly and the other owners are reasonable people there will be certain frustrations that will drive you crazy.

Availability will never be an issue if it’s your own ship. With a partnership this will always become an issue at some point.

Upgrades with fractional ownership are difficult. If you want that new vario and your parters don’t....

Ownership and maintenance costs even if spelled out in writing usually will cause some frustration.

It’s hard not to overpay for a share in a glider.

When one owner decides to sell you could be forced to buy them out for more than the share is worth.

One party will usually use the ship more, and you can imagine the issues that will come up.

If you can fly club aircraft until you can find a glider you can buy outright that fits your budget you should do that. You won’t have to deal with maintenance, storage, and in some cases assembly, insurance, etc.