Old November 5th 19, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default FES Possibilty

On Tuesday, November 5, 2019 at 12:08:37 PM UTC-8, kinsell wrote:

Lack of meaningful prop clearance forces two-point takeoffs, as is
clearly visible in video. Not a real smart way of flying.

Meh. We just measured the HP-24FES and it looks like we'll have about 8.5" of prop clearance in 2-point attitude. That's with the slightly taller undercarriage we built especially for this model. It's not a lot, but probably adequate when used judiciously.

A winch launch, or even an auto tow to 500', would address the prop clearance issue and also pump a bunch of kinetic and potential energy into the glider so you have that much left in the FES batteries.

--Bob K.