Old October 6th 03, 07:35 AM
John Morgan

"Jack Glendening" wrote in message
news:5o5gb.4451 But I can't see much inside it and have no idea
what is in there and if there is something to watch out for in doing
that cleaning. Is it as simple as using a Qtip and denatured alcohol
as I was planning on doing? If anyone has had experience cleaning out
that receptacle I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Yup, it's that simple. Cut a Q-tip and find a short length of stiff tubing
that will be a tight fit on the cut-off Q-tip shaft. This will allow you to
reach down all the way into the probe hole. There are several (at least 3)
O-rings down there, so go gently.

When done cleaning, I like to put a small amount of either silicone spray or
synthetic grease (very small amount!) on the probe shaft base so as to
lubricate the O-rings when it's inserted. If the probe is now easy to insert
(it should be), it'll also be easy to remove . . . maybe even in flight due
to vibration, so it's a good idea to tape around the fin fitting and probe
when installing it.

If you regularly remove your probe, consider a plug for the hole on the
vertical fin to keep dirt out. I also use a tubular cover for the base end
of the probe to keep it clean too.
--
bumper - ZZ
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

---