Old April 29th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default returning to flying after 29 years

On Apr 28, 4:39*pm, Qzectb wrote:
It's everything else that's got me nervous: *tower communications,
controlled airspace, etc. *Among other things, I realize that the
entire airspace classification system has changed since I last flew.

You are in good company. Most of the pilots I work with that haven't
flown in years feel the same way. Not a big deal.

I find that about 50% of what I hear on the radio is just plain
unintelligible. *It always WAS hard for me to make out what was being
said, even when I knew roughly what to expect, but it seems worse
today. *Maybe it's my middle-aged ears.

No. There have been some small changes (airspace, etc). However, most
of it is just that you haven't done it in awhile. There are lots of
great training aids out there that I recommend to my students.
Depending on where you are in general I would recommend one of the
following products....

1) King Private Pilot Exam course (covers all ground work, great in
you really feel rusty)
http://www.kingschools.com/searchRes...Exam%20Courses
2) King VFR Flight Review (better for those that just need refresher,
includes the stuff below)
http://www.kingschools.com/productDe...0KSJV033CSEDVD

The follow are more spot tools if you have specific areas you want to
addres...

3) King Communications (if you just want to brush up on radios)
http://www.kingschools.com/productDe...D%20KSJV017DVD
4)King Airspace review
http://www.kingschools.com/productDe...D%20KSJV009DVD
5) King regs review
http://www.kingschools.com/productDe...D%20KSJV033DVD

I recommend King only because I know their products, but there are
others. In general I feel that its a better use of your time and money
to try these inexpensive DVD courses first and then review with the
CFI. While I can teach you all this as a CFI the DVDs contain a lot of
good graphics and can be watched at any time. Then when we get
together you have a great starting point from which to discuss
questions. Although you noticed communications was something you were
rusty on, I find that regulations and airspace need a lot of review
for those that have been out of flying for awhile.

-Robert, CFII