Old November 17th 19, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default HPH 304 MS Flight Characteristics

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 12:40:36 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 12:23:46 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I only had a few flights with it, but remember a few items. The 304MS is very well built and it probably has the biggest cockpit of all single seaters available. Self launches were easy, climb rate was above 3m/s. Taking off with one wing tip on the ground was no problem.

In general, the Shark handled quite similar to a Ventus 2cM. But I find the feel for the thermals to be a bit better with the Ventus. The ailerons are lacking some effectivity in positive flap settings and I did not like the landing setting for that reason.

The engine system of the 304MS comes from Binder. It is pretty much the same like with Ventus 2cM, with manual operation of most of the components.. The alignment of the engine controls in the cockpit allowed keeping one hand at the stick when going into glider mode, which is not possible in our Ventus. But the propeller brake was a bit flimsy, lacking a handle to pull on.

The 304MS has good performance and allows one-man gliding operations. But it is probably not the right glider if you seriously want to compete.

Thank you. I enjoyed my CZ-17 but had to sell it as my number was up. Got a relight and now running on all 8 cylinders.

I would even be happy with a non self launching or FES Shark.

It took me a long time but letting go of the airport was a great feeling.
Pretty much self taught myself to cross-country.