Old September 14th 06, 08:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
At what point does one normally set flaps before take-off? I've been
doing it only when aligning with the runway, on the theory that
extending flaps prior to that would just make me more vulnerable to
wind while on the taxiway or at the gate. Similarly, I retract the
flaps completely as soon as I'm completely on the runway for landing,
so that the wind doesn't push me around. Is this the correct way to
do it?

It depends on the airplane and the pilot.

Personally, for the airplane I am flying the most, I have the flaps down
from preflight to takeoff. This is because the airplane requires flaps for
landings and takeoffs, there is only one "flaps down" setting, and I like
having the flaps down during the preflight as well. So I put the flaps down
before a landing, and they don't come up until after the next takeoff.

For Cessnas, which generally don't require flaps for takeoff, it's a
different matter. I lower the flaps for the preflight inspection so that I
can properly inspect the flap mechanisms, but then retract them after engine
start and before taxiing. Certain takeoffs may dictate lowering them again
prior to takeoff, which I do as part of my pre-takeoff checks, which include
reviewing the takeoff procedure checklist (flap setting is listed with the
checklist items for the takeoff itself).

Some pilots retract the flaps as soon as they touchdown, with the theory
that this will enhance their braking. However, IMHO this ignores the fact
that there is more aerodynamic braking with the flaps down early in the roll
out, and by the time the extra drag is negligible, so is any additional lift
the flaps might be generating. It also ignores the hazard in some airplanes
of accidently retracting the landing gear rather than the flaps.

Other airplanes run the gamut in terms of what's required or desired
operationally, and of course each pilot may have their own preferences as
well.

IMHO, since you're not actually flying an airplane, I wouldn't worry about
it. Put the flaps down whenever you want.

Pete