Old September 14th 06, 10:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tod Hennessy

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

I agree and consider Flaps a "luxury", to be used only when necessary. Fly
the airplane...
wrote in message
ups.com...

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Mxsmanic,

Is this the correct way to
do it?

No. But who cares - you're not flying, you're simming.

For take-off, it is usually done as part of the "before take-off"
checklist, which is done at the holding point of the runway, but not on
the runway. You don't want to spend much time sitting on the runway.
Also, many planes do not require flaps for take-off.

For landing, you don't want to accidentally touch the wrong switch
while in a hurry on the runway (e.g. the gear switch - happens often).
Your primary concern is to get off the runway. After that, stop and
complete the after landing checklist, which includes flaps.

Your stall speed is reduced by the flaps by maybe 10 or 20 knots. If
the wind is blowing enough for your stall speed to be a factor - don't
fly.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

In our club Cessna Cardinal I typically touch down, and set a nose high
attitude to get some aerodynamic braking going with the flaps down, as
soon as I feel the brake pedals have effect I'll set flaps to zero, by
the time the flaps are lifted about 15 degrees of deflection the
aerodynamic braking has become negligible and it's all in the pedals
(around 30 KIAS), also Hawai'i has some messed up winds, 0 knot winds
prevail from evening till morning while morning will have around 10
knot winds at 040, while the afternoon will have 15-ish gusting to
30-ish at 030 to 050, so having flaps down on the ground is a negative
because I've seen airplanes start flying halfway through their roll-out
after landing.