Old January 3rd 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tman

Default More questions on VFR flight following.

OK, if i call up approach when airborne and ask for VFR flight following,
they'll want to know where I'm going. If i'm following a semi-complex
route, on V airways and going from this VOR to that, perhaps turning at an
intersection to a different V airway, do they really want to know that? Or
do they just want the destination? I know that they need the dest, since
they apparently attach it to my callsign. The impact of the route is that i
won't be making a straight line to the destination, but likely some minor
zigs and zags to get there. I often do this to steer clear of B airspace or
restricted areas, when navigating in a plane without GPS. I guess I could
give them my route of flight, but do they really want that -- or just the
final destination?

Second question since I'm on the topic. I've never flown through any class
B airspace. If i popup knocking on the door, having planned a flight to
avoid the airspace, what is the chance that they will clear me through it
for asking? For example, I'm planning a flight that will save a couple
miles if i can cut through the NY Class B, on the west side, e.g. over
Morristown field, and I may not want to get up over the 7,000 ceiling due to
winds aloft. Is it more likely to get clearance to cut a chord through the
outer ring like this -- as opposed to say expecting to, say, overfly the
Statue of Liberty vicinity at 5,500 (which is much closer to the center
rings of the Class B). I don't see any VFR transit routes from a quick
glance of the NY TAC. I guess my strategy would be to plan a circutous
route that keeps my clear of the Class B, but then when I'm close (but not
too close), ask if i can cut direct through it to my destination. IF yes,
I'll just aim for a VOR on the other side.... Any thing I can do to, perhaps
planning the right route through, to increase my chances of getting
clearance?

Thanks -- Tman!