Old January 3rd 08, 11:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

Default More questions on VFR flight following.

"Tman" N/A wrote in message

OK, if i call up approach when airborne and ask for VFR flight following,
they'll want to know where I'm going. If i'm following a semi-complex
route, on V airways and going from this VOR to that, perhaps turning at an
intersection to a different V airway, do they really want to know that?
Or do they just want the destination? I know that they need the dest,
since they apparently attach it to my callsign. The impact of the route
is that i won't be making a straight line to the destination, but likely
some minor zigs and zags to get there. I often do this to steer clear of
B airspace or restricted areas, when navigating in a plane without GPS. I
guess I could give them my route of flight, but do they really want
that -- or just the final destination?

Depends what you want from them.

If it's airspace where contact with ATC is required and that's the only
reason you're calling, you don't intend to remain with them when contact is
no longer required, then all they need is a general description of your
route through the affected airspace. They don't need the destination unless
it's nearby.

If you want flight following to your destination and you'd like them to pass
that information along to other facilities along your route you'll need to
provide the destination and route in a format the computer will accept;
airways, navaids, intersections, etc. You don't have to actually fly over
them, a few miles is close enough. The easiest way to do this is to enter a
flight plan through DUAT. Select IFR flight plan and enter "VFR" as the
altitude. Approach will have all of your information when you call, they'll
assign the beacon code selected by the computer, and your information will
be sent to every facility between your departure point and destination.