Old May 12th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ronald Natalie

Default Marker beacons

Christopher Brian Colohan wrote:
I am currently working through the King Schools IFR DVDs in
preparation for my US IFR written. Something is really bugging me,
and I figured someone here might know the answer.... (And I am too
impatient to wait for my next lesson.)

How old are these DVD's?

In one section of this course, we learn that the outer merker and
middle marker used to matter. It used to be the case that if they
were broken you had to increase your approach minimums by some amount.

It used to be that no middle marker gave you a 50 foot penalty. That
went away back in the late eighties. If they still talk about that,
they need to remove that.

The outer marker is specifically required by regulation. You can
substitute another fix that happens to be in the same place. Our local
TERPS expert can get into the why, but there's no particularly strong
reason other than the regs say it is a component of an ILS.