Old February 1st 11, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default ASW20 or LS6

At 01:06 31 January 2011, binks wrote:
I am looking to purchase my first glider. I have been looking at the
ASW20 and the LS6. Any suggestions on which glider would be the best
all around? I have heard that the LS6 has a narrow cockpit. I am 6'2"
200 lbs. and would be wearing a parachute. Also heard that the ASW20
can be a little unforgiving to the uninitiated in the spin department.
Both seem to have very similar performance data. All that being said
it is appearing to me it may be Ford vs Chevy

Do not concern yourself over the flaps issue, it is purely a matter of
training and the flaps on the ASW20 are very intuative.
To answer your question.
Do you want a well harmonised, does what it says on the tin, good
performance glider built by Schleicher or a perfomance glider build by
someone who went out of business?
Do you want a glider where the spares are easy to obtain with no
restrictions, you only pay for the spares and not for the right to buy the
spares you need? If the answer is yes ASW20
OR do you want to have to pay for the right to purchase spares with the
possibility that you will be told, having purchased that right, that the
spares are not available? If yes to this go LS
Do you want to be able to order a service manual or flight manual for your
glider and only pay the cost of the manual? If so ASW20
Do you want to be forced to pay a large amount every year, which will give
you the right ot have a new manual, which may only be amended in the number
on the title page? If so Go LS
Do you want genuine service from a long standing and helpful glider
manufacturer who gives you what you pay for? Go ASW20
If you don't mind paying out a large sum every year for something you may
never benefit from, go LS.
As a final note I have flown both and in the handling qualities there is
no contest, ASW20 every time. As far as performance is concerned on a
heaving day the LS probably has the edge purely because you can load more
water in it, whether this outweighs (pun intended) the pleasant
characteristics of Schleicher gliders is a matter of personal taste.