Old March 28th 16, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Student Advice

Go to the field every weekend and fly 2-3 flights per weekend if possible. Doing this will allow you to keep your skills up between lessons, create the muscle memory, and give you much quicker results. Only doing 1 or 2 flights per month will at least double the time it takes to solo.

Good luck!

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 9:28:21 AM UTC-5, Reuben Bakker wrote:
I'm beginning my soaring journey. Have visited the gliderport twice (Bermuda High Soaring in Jefferson, South Carolina). Supposed to go up this Saturday for the first time if the weather cooperates.

I did ground school and a few hours in a 172 about 6 years ago, and I've been up in a glider once about 15 years ago. I'm 35 now. Aviation has always been a passion of mine but life has kept me busy and I haven't been able to fulfill my dreams... Hoping to change that now. Goal is to get my glider license and become the best pilot I can be, continuing on to powered planes and hopefully a commercial rating (and beyond). The more I learn about gliders though the more I can see sticking with it long term, as well as the many benefits of learning to fly via this route.

Just wanted to say hi, and if you have any advice or things you wish you had known when you were starting out, let me know!