Old March 28th 16, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default New Student Advice

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 8:11:41 PM UTC+3, Paul Agnew wrote:
I'm intrigued by the computer simulator-based training program being developed on www.gliderCFI.com . The presentation at the SSA convention was very encourging as they're figuring out how to use Condor to teach basic glider skills with a very organized and logical syllabus. Nothing beats real stick time, but I believe some fundamentals can be be learned this way and the cost of certification decreased somewhat.

At Wellington Gliding Club we've set up the forward fuselage from a written off Cirrus with the real controls connected to Condor, a huge TV discarded by a corporate, and a small LCD display (12" maybe?) for the instruments. When we have sufficient time and personnel we put even first time trial flight people into the sim for a few minutes. It saves time on the briefing on the field, and when you hand over controls in the air they have a much better idea what's going on, in particular for speed control via attitude control, and rudder coordination.

If I recall correctly, we usually have Condor set up using the ASW28 model as seeming the closest in handling and performance to our DG1000 training gliders.