Old March 29th 16, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Student Advice

Reuben welcome to flying! Lots of good advice here and I will throw a little more your way. As to what ship to train in, I'm not sure where your home is, but fly whatever you can get the most experience in for the money you have. Depending on yourclubs setup, it may make more flying sense to fly whatever trainer is cheaper. Dont worry about the transition to glass. If the 2-33 is available and less expensive then fly the heck out of it. Crossing the transition to glass is not the big deal many make of it as long as you are learning the correct basics, correctly. The thing you are learning that is the most important now and for the future is decision making skills. Knowing whats happening (example high on approach) and how to correct for it..
Also once you get soloed off and can fly on your own, be thinking about getting your own ship. If your funds are limited, there are still many relatively affordable ships out there that will teach you alot. You dont need the latest greatest. For example, schweizer 1-26's can be had for under 6k. When you can fly whenever you want for as long as you want, then your soaring horizons will really start to widen.
As was said before soaring and soaring clubs are rarely on a schedule. Best plan is to get out there early and often. Many times you will learn more from discussions with other pilots on the ground than you will from your flight.

As to moving on to power, soaring is the very best base to build an aviation career upon. I was fortunate to start in gliders as a 13 year old, and I didnt transition into power untill I turned 40. Ended up flying for a living, but the airmanship I learned soaring has saved my ass many tumes while flying power.
Welcome to the skies.
Dan