Old April 8th 18, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Spinning a Pegase

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 9:15:06 AM UTC-4, Peter Wilson wrote:
You might be interested in this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeI2LlEzOT4

Seems like in this video the speed bleeds off with not much of an increase in pitch attitude while the bank is progressively increased. But the bank is never extreme. He does say he gets the pre-stall buffet, at least with the yaw string straight. But with inside over-rudder (skidding turn) no warning. Not clear whether the glider type (and CG position) in the video is more susceptible to spinning in that attitude than other types.

Actual spin training in sailplanes seems uncommon in the USA these days. As part of CFIG training we got some nominal bit of it. Luckily for me, some years back an instructor insisted we do multiple full spin entries and recoveries. That was in a Blanik.

In my own glider, given that the CG is near the rear limit, I avoid spins, but of course sometimes get to feel what it's like on the edge of stall or spin entry while thermalling at low speeds in turbulent conditions. The important thing is to recognize the warnings and recover early.