Old July 20th 19, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Becker AR4201 transmit volume low

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 10:05:25 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 11:55:34 AM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 11:45:19 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
I tried adjusting the mic sensitivity in service mode all the way up to 63, but it didn’t seem to make any difference. I have the wiring harness from Wings and Wheels. How would I go about switching pin 5 with pin 18?

The mic wire on my W&W AR4201 harness was on pin 18. If you want to move it to pin 5, unsolder it from 18, move it to 5, and solder it.

Pin-outs are in the manual.

The diagram in the manual also shows different ground pins for the two types of mics, that may or may not matter, but best to follow what it says. A dynamic mic (as you have) sends a much weaker signal than a condenser mic, and also should not have a DC voltage applied to it. That's why they have separate connections.

Depending on the type of connector, the pins may be removable (need a special tool), swapping them that way would be faster than re-soldering. Find a friend who has the relevant skills and tools.

And return the mic sensitivity setting to normal before you try transmitting again...

Enjoy the radio. My glider came with this type radio and it's been solid..

I was able to get a hold of a pin tool for the wiring harness and was able to swap pin 18 for pin 5. This fixed the problem. Apparently, I ordered the wiring harness as a "standard" wiring harness and did not read the options carefully enough to select the "dynamic" wiring harness for this radio. Less than learned.