Old January 27th 04, 05:46 AM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:30:18 -0000, "Paul Sengupta"
wrote:

Blimey, that's huge! I thought teachers were supposed to be
poorly paid! I didn't earn that much until having worked about
7 or 8 years as a professional engineer.

It all depends on where you go.
Here in Central Michigan you currently could expect to see starting
salaries of maybe $25,000, but with a top around $60,000. That varies
widely between adjacent school districts.

OTOH, my ex wife's sister and her sister's husband both taught in the
inner city of Detroit over 20 years ago. Rumor has it they were making
on the order of $50,000 back then. OTOH that may have been hazardous
duty pay :-)) I do remember they were making over twice the top
salaries most any where else in the state.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

It's more than a doctor's starting salary here and quite a bit
more than an engineer's starting salary.

In fact, here in the UK, my (younger) cousin, who's a teacher,
has just got a job for £6k a year more than me. I've been an
engineer (in the same company) (no prizes for guessing which,
look at my e-mail address!) since 1992.

Paul

"Margy Natalie" wrote in message
A starting teacher in Fairfax County gets $35,813